Thursday, March 08, 2007
A Sobering Thought
Was just having a chat with a friend of mine who has been an intern for a month regarding choice of careers in medicine.

Her philosophy (based on her experience on the ward so far) was,
"In the end, the choices you make are going to decide who's life you're going to have on your hands. Do you want that life to be a 90 year old terminally-ill man's, or that of a 8 year old kid?"

Well, the only 2 things in med so far that have excited me are Obstetrics & Gynaecology and Paediatrics. I'm not prepared to give up my life for the O&G lifestyle, which pretty much leaves Paeds.

It's definitely making me think twice about Paeds.

Hopefully when I start working, some other branch of medicine will enthrall me.


2 Comments:

Blogger Incognito said...

You'd be a good paeds doctor. You're good with kids and you're detached enough not to sink into depression with every sick little tyke. (I think!) Correct me if i'm wrong ;)

Blogger Sue-Lyn said...

Haha thanks for the vote of confidence. Sorry it took so long to publish. Somehow the comment moderation thing got turned on and I didn't notice it.

I don't know about being detached. Having never been directly involved in anyone's death before (other than being with one person when he died, but that was sort of expected), I have no idea how I will react to kids dying. I have a hard enough time dealing with dying adults.

And also, prob 1/2 the female med student population wants to be paediatricians :)

Post a Comment

<< Home